Hidden from the road, and accessible only by footpath lies Porth Wen. A place of quietude now, it was in the late 19th century a brickworks. The bricks were made from the local quartzite, and were used primarily as firebricks in furnaces. The bricks were exported from the works' own harbour. Manufacture ceased in about 1914, and the works have been abandoned to nature. The significance of the works is recognised by the fact they were given listed building status.
Access to the site is not easy, and is potentially dangerous. We therefore suggest viewing Port Wen from the headland.