Cable Bay, or Porth Trecastell
There are 2 Cable Bays on Anglesey. This one lies just north of Aberffraw on the west coast, whilst the other, Porth Crugmor, is just south of Church Bay. The Porth Trecastell Cable Bay gets its name from 1902 when a telegraph cable linked it to Ireland and from there to America. The connection has long since been abandoned. On the northern headland of Cable Bay stands the Neolithic burial chamber, Barclodiad y Gawres, or the apron of the giantess - believed to be a fanciful reference to how the mound was formed. Further information on Barclodiad y Gawres can be found on our Anglesey Archaeology pages.